Tag Archives: wp e-commerce

WP E-Commerce Using Incorrect Timezone

I noticed incorrect dates in the sales log, as well as incorrect expiration calculations for coupons… Not great things. WP E-Commerce appears to ignore the WordPress settings and use the server settings via PHP.

Quick fix solution, credit goes to Babelscribe.com

Set the server timezone by adding this to the header file of your theme:

<?php date_default_timezone_set ('Pacific/Auckland' ); ?>

Time zones are detailed here:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/timezones.php

I just added it to the top of the theme’s function.php, seems more appropriate than any header template. Obviously you must adjust the argument for your timezone.

This instantly fixed and updated dates displayed everywhere in WP E-Commerce.

Creating a WP e-Commerce plugin: Settings Page API (fix)

Recently I’ve been developing a WordPress plugin to extend WP e-Commerce, a free storefront plugin. I used to use osCommerce, a robust PHP solution for shopping carts and heavily customized it. I was looking at this implementation of osCommerce (a great effort) as a WordPress plugin, but it was like reinventing the wheel–not worth it. WP e-Commerce is a native WordPress plugin, works well, has a huge user base and is (mostly) easy to extend.

The WP e-Commerce developers are kind enough to provide documentation for developers of plugins. Their page on “Settings Page API” describes the process of adding a tab to the WPEC settings page. While mostly straightforward there are two points that tripped me up:

  1. The  class WPSC_Settings_Tab_PLUGIN_SLUG extends WPSC_Settings_Tab needs to be inside the plugin tab function being described. This issue was mostly a result of my own dimness…
  2. This one seems to be a typo. The action hook tying in your plugin tab function as described is: However while using this action hook, my plugin settings tab was not accessible directly, only through an AJAX call after the settings page was already loaded. Also, I was using the optional  public function callback_submit_options()  to handle the form submission myself, and this was non-functional! Using the following hook fixed all this and resulted in a settings tab that functioned identically to the default tabs:

add_action( 'wpsc_register_settings_tabs', 'my_plugin_settings_tabs');